This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the elfutils project.

Re: 0.161 elfutils test are failing on Linux Arch

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:06:51PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> And for the deleted test we can probably first call
> prctl(PR_SET_PTRACER, PR_SET_PTRACER_ANY, 0, 0, 0) to allow eu-stack -p
> to get at the memory image of the

JFYI, we use the same approach in strace to make some of our tests work
properly on such systems:

> I'll try to code something up and if you could test that, that would be
> awesome.
> But... This is really workarounds for the testcases. Then we know the
> functionality works as intended. Except when a real user uses the dwfl
> attach library calls or eu-stack binary...
> So we probably need to figure out how to really fix this. How do other
> tools and libraries work? What if a user wants to see why firefox is
> wonky and does a strace -p $(pidof firefox) or gstack $(pidof firefox).
> Are those tools also broken by default on Arch? Or do they use some
> other trick to work properly?

A consumer OS in default configuration does not allow ptrace'ing of
firefox for security reasons.  If a user wants to ptrace processes other
than direct descendants, there is no other way besides lifting the ptrace

Unfortunately, there is a consumer culture of wrapping in sudo any command
that fails with EPERM, but that's another problem.