Re: Don't let dwfl_linux_kernel_report_offline/find_elf go through build dir

On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 21:04 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> I believe it was a specific feature request to have /lib/`uname -r`/build
> get searched.  You'd have to ask around or look through old PRs for
> systemtap to find the request.  But I'm not comfortable changing this right
> now.  Keeping consistent with the depmod behavior is the sort of
> excuse^H^H^H^H^H^Hstandard that I like, but we should take care to research
> the past concerns of users before making a change.

I asked around and it is indeed a feature of stap:

   -r /DIR
      Build for kernel in given build tree. Can also be set  with  the
      SYSTEMTAP_RELEASE environment variable.

   -r RELEASE
      Build  for kernel in build tree /lib/modules/RELEASE/build.  Can
      also be set with the SYSTEMTAP_RELEASE environment variable.

So, that second case explicitly relies on searching the modules under
the 'build' subdir.

Which is a little unfortunate imho since in most normal/distro installs
there isn't actually a build tree there, but just the sources. I don't
immediately see an easy/clean way to keep this functionality and detect
that in some cases the build/sources dir doesn't need to be searched.
Maybe you could detect that there is a /lib/modules/RELEASE/kernel
subdir and then only search that, but I am not sure that is very
robust/sane.

Cheers,

Mark