This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the elfutils project.
Re: [PATCH] strip: Deal with ARM data marker symbols pointing to debug sections.
- From: Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp dot org>
- To: elfutils-devel at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 12:33:38 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] strip: Deal with ARM data marker symbols pointing to debug sections.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <email@example.com>
On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 12:17:40PM +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> ARM data marker symbols "$d" indicate the start of a sequence of data
> items in a section. For data only sections no data marker symbol is
> necessary, but may be put pointing to the start of the section.
> binutils however has a bug which places a data marker symbol somewhere
> inside the section (at least for .debug_frame).
> When strip finds a symbol pointing to a debug section that would be
> put into the .debug file then it will copy over the whole symbol table.
> This isn't necessary because the symbol is redundant.
> Add an ebl hook to recognize data marker symbols with implementations
> for arm and aarch64. Use it in strip to strip such symbols from the
> symbol table if they point to a debug section.
Tested in Fedora rawhide where it fixed an rpm testsuite issue on arm.
Pushed to master.