This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the elfutils project.
Re: [COMMITTED] backends: Swap sys/ptrace.h and asm/ptrace.h include order on s390.
- From: Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp dot org>
- To: "Dmitry V. Levin" <ldv at altlinux dot org>
- Cc: elfutils-devel at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 18:41:47 +0200
- Subject: Re: [COMMITTED] backends: Swap sys/ptrace.h and asm/ptrace.h include order on s390.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20170717162948.GA8679@altlinux.org>
On Mon, 2017-07-17 at 19:29 +0300, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 05:44:54PM +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > glibc 2.26 changed the sys/ptrace.h header so that it cannot be included
> > after asm/ptrace.h. We still need to include the kernel asm/ptrace.h for
> > the ptrace_area definition. Including it after sys/ptrace.h works against
> > both old and new glibc.
> If it's a glibc regression, shouldn't it be fixed on glibc side before
> 2.26 is out?
I asked and it was done deliberately. See glibc 2.26 NEWS under
Deprecated and removed features, and other changes affecting
For the functionality we needed it was always necessary to include the
kernel asm/ptrace.h also (and it still is with 2.26) on s390. The only
regression (for us) is that the order of the includes needs to be
sys/ptrace.h first, then asm/ptrace.h. I double checked that the
functionality needed still works (the run-backtrace-native.sh testcase
works on both old s390 and s390x and new glibc s390x versions).