This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the elfutils project.
[Bug tools/21332] elflint doesn't handle compressed sections
- From: "rguenther at suse dot de" <sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org>
- To: elfutils-devel at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:58:43 +0000
- Subject: [Bug tools/21332] elflint doesn't handle compressed sections
- Auto-submitted: auto-generated
- References: <email@example.com/bugzilla/>
--- Comment #4 from rguenther at suse dot de ---
On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, mark at klomp dot org wrote:
> --- Comment #3 from Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp dot org> ---
> (In reply to rguenther from comment #2)
> > On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, mark at klomp dot org wrote:
> > > The question is how did a compressed ELF section end up in the elfstrmerge.o
> > > file in the first place? Especially since it apparently isn't in the resulting
> > > EXE file. Seems somehow the ET_REL file got created with a compressed ELF
> > > section, but then the linker fixed things up again?
> > Recent GAS versions compress debug sections by default (but ld then
> > uncompresses again for the final exe). Supposedly to improve I/O.
> That seems like a stupid default. Were there any benchmarks showing the extra
> compressing/decompressing cycle actually help? I am sure eu-elflint isn't the
> only program that cannot handle compressed ELF sections by default.
The idea is that exposing this only (by default) for .o files the set
of tools would be small. -Wa,--nocompress-debug-sections disables this.
As of binutils 2.27 we have
* Default to --enable-compressed-debug-sections=gas for Linux/x86 targets.
so quite narrow list of targets (not sure how s390x is affected for me
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.