This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the elfutils project.
[Bug tools/21332] elflint doesn't handle compressed sections
- From: "mark at klomp dot org" <sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org>
- To: elfutils-devel at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:44:34 +0000
- Subject: [Bug tools/21332] elflint doesn't handle compressed sections
- Auto-submitted: auto-generated
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org/bugzilla/>
--- Comment #3 from Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp dot org> ---
(In reply to rguenther from comment #2)
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, mark at klomp dot org wrote:
> > The question is how did a compressed ELF section end up in the elfstrmerge.o
> > file in the first place? Especially since it apparently isn't in the resulting
> > EXE file. Seems somehow the ET_REL file got created with a compressed ELF
> > section, but then the linker fixed things up again?
> Recent GAS versions compress debug sections by default (but ld then
> uncompresses again for the final exe). Supposedly to improve I/O.
That seems like a stupid default. Were there any benchmarks showing the extra
compressing/decompressing cycle actually help? I am sure eu-elflint isn't the
only program that cannot handle compressed ELF sections by default.
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.