This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the elfutils project.
Re: [PATCH] Check for existence of asprintf and vasprintf
- From: Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp dot org>
- To: Ulf Hermann <ulf dot hermann at qt dot io>
- Cc: elfutils-devel at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 17:38:52 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Check for existence of asprintf and vasprintf
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20170222144004.GV28432@vapier> <email@example.com>
On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 05:01:51PM +0100, Ulf Hermann wrote:
> > these portability replacements are starting to get out of hand
> To what extent should elfutils be portable to non-GNU systems?
That has never really been a goal. elfutils is specifically for
handling ELF files and DWARF data on a GNU/Linux systems. We try to
accommodate other systems that use ELF and DWARF though if it is easy
> My goal here is to port it to windows while minimizing the amount of
> external dependencies I have to add. The functions I have replaced so
> far are so trivial that I didn't consider it worthwhile to import
> things from gnulib in order to provide them.
I haven't had time to review your patches yet. Sorry.
But I would prefer to not have to maintain a whole portability
layer. gnulib was specifically made for this kind of portability.
So if we can just import modules from gnulib that would be my
preference. That way all we have to do is refresh the modules
with gnulib-tool --update around release time.