Re: Freescale and Lua copyrights

On 24/01/14 15:30, Michael Jones wrote:

> I would like to resolve this quickly so I can plan for evolving the current
> semi-hacked working version of the iMX6 hal to a version suitable for
> incorporation (desired), or if the effort is too large, remain independent
> (not desired). It is difficult to know where to invest time without knowing
> what will be allowed.
>
> Can you accept this Freescale Copyright into the official eCos code base:
>
> /*
>  * Copyright (c) 2012, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
>  * All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY FREESCALE "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
>  * WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
>  * MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT
>  * SHALL FREESCALE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
>  * EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT
>  * OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
>  * INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
>  * CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING
>  * IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
>  * OF SUCH DAMAGE.
>  */

Unfortunately that isn't a license, that's a copyright message with all rights
reserved, and a disclaimer. "All rights reserved" means there is no right to
copy, modify, redistribute, etc. You will need to talk to Freescale to get
that resolved, or to recode it, sorry. Note that this restriction on
redistribution applies whether or not you contribute it!

As has happened before, I suspect it's just sloppiness on Freescale's part and
they did intend it to be fully re-distributable, but with what it says above
that legally isn't the case.

> I have a Lua 5.2.3 port that is fully functional. It has minimal modifications. It is called from my telnetd package (will be submitted to eCos with full copyright assignment when mature). There is no way to rewrite this to avoid the copyright, so will you accept this Lua Copyright into the official eCos code base:
[snip]

Yes, the Lua licence is fine. The only thing I would request is that a note is
made in documentation reminding users of this license, since it won't be the
normal eCos one.

Good luck with Freescale!

Jifl