Re: Red eCos: Going, Going, Gone

Hi Eddie

Below is a fairly detailed timeline we pulled together last week. This will be put up on our web site shortly.

eCos TimeLine

Mid-1996 Cygnus Solutions recruit team and begin the design of the
         "embedded Configurable operating system" targeting the deeply
         embedded market
Dec-1997 First release of eCos to key Japanese customers only under the
         "Cygnus eCos Public License"
Nov-1998 eCos 1.1 release (first public release)
May-1999 eCos 1.2.1 release
Nov-1999 Red Hat announces merger with Cygnus Solutions in exchange for
         $674 million (USD) [approx 185 staff at Cygnus Solutions]
Mar-2000 eCos 1.3.1 released under "Red Hat eCos Public License"
May-2000 Red Hat announces the availability of the RedBoot bootstrap
         firmware, built from the core eCos technology base
Apr-2002 eCos 2.0-alpha released under "GPL+exception license"
Apr-2002 Original members and developers of the eCos team form
         eCosCentric Limited in Cambridge-UK to focus on eCos & open
         source solutions
May-2002 Red Hat announce its withdrawal from the RTOS market and lays
         off the current entire eCos team
Jun-2002 eCos maintainers begin to add personal copyright ownership to
         their new contributions within the eCos and RedBoot public
         source base. Red Hat no longer are sole copyright holders
         of eCos and RedBoot.
Mar-2003 eCos 2.0-beta release
May-2003 eCos 2.0-final release
Sep-2003 eCosCentric announces the eCosPro Developer's Kits [TM]
Dec-2003 eCosCentric announces and begins accepting copyright
         assignments from the developer community in order to ensure
         prompt inclusion in the public sources
Jan-2004 Red Hat announce their "intention" to assign copyright for the
         portions of the original source base (pre May '02) to FSF

If you want more details, give me a call.

HTH
-- Alex

Eddie Correia wrote:

Hello All:

Again my apologies. In publishing, as in programming, errors happen.

There is a correction on page 37 of the current (Mar 1) print edition of SD Times that credits Nick Garnett for the original creation of eCos. DISCLAIMER: I submitted Alex's correction (which included Bart Veer and Paul Beskeen) to my editor. Only Nick's name was used. I will seek to have the entire eCos time line corrected on our Web site by the end of this week. I will use Alex's accounting of events unless I hear otherwise by Wednesday, March 3.

Further corrections are out of my control. If anyone would like to "set the record straight," I recommend that one or more of you write letter(s) to the editor <feedback@bzmedia.com>. Include "Letter to the Editor" in the subject line.

Regards,
-Eddie

At 02:57 PM 2/29/2004, Gary Thomas wrote:

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 07:30, Eddie Correia wrote:
> Hello everyone:
>
> I apologize for the error; the information I found on eCos history was
> obviously wring and we will run a correction.
>
> I'll be in touch with more specifics about how this happened in a few
> days.

So what ever happened with this?  It's now [nearly] March 1, and I've
not heard anything.