Re: Welcome to sources.redhat.com

Ladies and Gentleman, please welcome Andrew Lunn as a new eCos maintainer :-).

For those on the DCN list, if there are eCos maintainership issues, please direct them to ecos-maintainers@sources.redhat.com as DCN =/= ecos-maintainers now. ecos-maintainers is a publically archived list, note: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-maintainers

root@sources.redhat.com wrote:
Your account is now active, the login name is asl@sources.redhat.com.
[snip]

So now you're ready :-). As the message says you don't have shell access, just enough access that you can set your CVSROOT as it describes and do a checkout. Shell access is only required for those who need to be able to put things up for FTP.

What you'll want to do now is find somewhere with lots of disk space and get a sourceware checkout with that CVS setup. Or if you prefer, run a sed script over an existing CVS checkout, like:

for i in `find . -type f -path \*/CVS/Root -print` ; do
echo ":ext:asl@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/ecos" > $i
done

You should also probably do a checkout of "htdocs". These are the webpages. This will also eat disk space as there's some old stuff there that should be tidied up really.

So hopefully you'll be able to get all that working, and can set about doing, um, whatever :-). Just helping - whatever you are prepared to do!

There's a few procedure-y things that occur to me though, and it's probably good for these types of things to go in the list archive. Sorry if some of these are completely bloody obvious, but I'm just being thorough for the archive if nothing else! :-)

In general, all patches go to the ecos-patches list for approval before they are committed. Because us existing lot are a clique :-) we prefer to go ahead and commit our changes in general (unless they are particularly tricky/complex), but still post what was committed to ecos-patches.

There isn't any official ownership of areas of code as such (yet), except that if an area was originally written by someone and the patch is non-trivial they should probably be consulted in preference to any other maintainer (CC'ing direct is best since a lot of people, me included, don't always notice our names in lights). Certainly changes in some tricky areas like kernel innards should always be discussed before they are committed no matter how good they look, but I'm sure I'm just telling a granny to suck eggs here, as this is just good practice anywhere :-).

If you don't mind, for the time being, if you write your own patches can you still submit them for approval by any other maintainer anyway rather than going ahead and checking it in and just posting the patch? This doesn't apply to trivial patches though. I heard a good definition of a trivial patch as a patch that the most sadistic reviewer you know would still have no grounds of objecting to :-). The most extremely trivial patches sometimes don't even deserve a ChangeLog entry or patch to ecos-patches, but err on the side of caution for now. Otherwise, all changes should have a ChangeLog entry.

But don't worry too much about all this procedure stuff, as long as what you've actually committed is on ecos-patches it shouldn't be too difficult to unpick if absolutely required :-).

Most contributed patches need fixing in some way before they are applied. Things that frequently need doing are missing ChangeLog files, missing ChangeLog entries, badly applying patches (due to e-mail corruption, or repository conflicts, although the latter will be easier now that there's no red hat/public repository schism to deal with), Author/Contributor fields in headers that aren't true. Descriptions in each file that aren't correct, especially if copied from a different package. CDL option default values set to be enabled when the option is actually esoteric and only on because that's what the submitter wanted for themselves, rather than what's useful for everybody else. Generally you have to go through each contribution file by file :-|. There's only a few particularly large contributions where that's just too onerous and I just give up :-).

Believe me, it's rarely the case a patch just applies! And then when it does, there are frequently plenty of broken things about it. So that means actually reading the patch and doing your best to understand it. Sometimes it's just a question of trust, but it's worth asking for clarification from the submitter to be sure the change is correct. It's not the first time people have submitted changes to architecture HALs that are correct for _their_ platform, and the previous setup wasn't wrong, it's just that it didn't apply to their platform.

Or indeed there are other correctness issues with patches, like if they did "fix" changes like that by adding lots of #ifdef MYPLATFORM/#else .../#endif stuff. That doesn't scale and we've gone to a lot of effort in many places to prevent or remove that type of stuff (although there's a few left), and unless it really is a one-off, CDL interfaces are the proper way to do it. In that case you either have to implement it that way yourself for them (and I've done that plenty of times) or bounce the patch back to the submitter and ask them to fix it accordingly.

A more recent issue is that contributions based on older code will tend to have the RHEPL. That needs to be changed to the new licence. I have a script that can fairly automatically do that - just ask me for it when you need it.

Don't be afraid to reject a patch because it'll be too much work for you to fix. Just bounce it back to the author. Also not all patches make sense "strategically". Just because someone has contributed something doesn't mean it's actually a sensible thing to include, especially if our strategic direction is some other way, or if it would have future maintenance overhead, especially if we'd want to obsolete it with something else. Or if it's just bloat, especially if they haven't made it configurable with a CDL option.

If you make non-trivial changes to a contributed patch before actually committing it, it's worth reposting your new diff to ecos-patches. There's no need if it is just things like adding ChangeLog files, or changing RHEPL->GPL etc. - those aren't interesting :-). It's if you make non-trivial technical changes that's all.

Patches over about <hand wave>two screens of actual changes</hand wave> need a copyright assignment. For now those should be to Red Hat, although for our own changes as maintainers, we will add our own copyright, e.g. you may well have seen (C) 2002 Gary Thomas in some places. We're going through the motions of arranging for another body to handle our assignments and in due course us maintainers will do a retrospective assignment for all those changes to that body to keep everything neat. More of this a bit later.

If you're not sure whether a patch is too big to accept without an assignment, just ask. We've been doing a lot of discussion in private before, but with you on board, that will change.

Any significant contributions warrant a mention on http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/contrib.html, which you can access as htdocs/contrib.html in your checkout although if you prefer I can keep doing this if you let me know of ones to be added. That page needs to be completely overhauled eventually I know.

Phew. I think that'll do - I got a bit carried away :-). Let me know if you have any questions or if I've missed something!

Jifl
--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine