Re: Regarding Ecos and Redboot.

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 04:10, SIVAKUMAR SUBRAMANI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use Redboot as my PC BIOS. When I was reading the Redboot
> User guide, I found that, with some appropriate chages, we can use Reboot as
> a PC BIOS. I could not find any details of how to use Redboot as a PC BIOS.
> Can any one send me some details about how to use Redboot as a PC BIOS.

While possible, it's not straight forward.  eCos (and hence RedBoot) can
easily run on "bare" hardware, but we'd need the exact hardware details
for the platform.  These are often unavailable, or obscured by the
manufacturer.  On truly embedded devices, such as something which might
be crafted for a particular application rather than an off-the-shelf
unit, eCos+RedBoot would be a viable solution.

What sort of platform are you talking about?  If it's custom, would you
be interested in having eCos+RedBoot ported to it?
Gary Thomas               |
MLB Associates            |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963         |    Embedded world
gary@mlbassoc.com         |
http://www.mlbassoc.com/  |