Re: Request for Redhat-Centric info (For Ed Bailey)

"Edward C. Bailey" <ed@redhat.com> writes:

> docbook-3.1-4
> jade-1.2.1-9
> jadetex-2.7-2
> psgml-1.0.3-2
> sgml-common-0.1-8
> stylesheets-1.54.13rh-1
>
> (I've included psgml here just to let people know that, if you want to use
> Emacs and psgml-mode, I've had problems using the above RPMs with psgml
> versions > 1.0.3, in that it cannot read the pre-parsed DTD it saved.)
>
> I'll also state that we use these tools to produce "give-to-customer"
> quality HTML, and "copy-editing" quality Postscript.  For final-quality
> print, we use Arbortext's Adept*Publisher software.  So if you do a db2ps
> and wonder why your output doesn't look like our manuals, now you'll know
> why... :-)

We're using the same packages at Conectiva.
But we are using free tools to generate printed books and guides.

Our last four books were written in DocBook and formatted with Jade
and a customized version of Norm's stylesheets (1.53 and 1.54). There
was another book but the tool we used wasn't completely free.

For HTML I'm also using CSS.

I think that these tools are mature to have final-quality
documents. But I agree that there are a few things needed here.

Camille, from Mandrake, might also have something to say... She was
having some common problems and we were talking in private to find a
way of solving them.

Regards,
--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações
Publishing Department                   Conectiva S.A.