Re: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools...

> > Despite all of the above, I have become reasonably proficient in using the
> > Docbook-Tools set and in Docbook itself.  But the tool kits still do not work
> > well enough for me to actually use them to produce real documentation. I am

They work well enough for us, so it is possible! See:

http://www.cogent.ca/Download/Documents.htm

The slang programmin language and cascade db docs are all from docbook. I wrote
my own scripts and makefiles to drive jade and [pdf]jadetex based on taking
a peek into the db2* scripts. It took a while, but it was no harder than
dealing with LaTeX, back when I used it in university.

Sgml isn't really a documentation language, it's a markup language, the markup
is then used to generate documentation, by some people, and with some tools.
For those of us who actually want documentation, the vagueness of all the sgml
docs when it comes to actually generating documentation is frustrating, but
sgml+docbook+jade+jadetex are still the best tools around.

> additionally i would suggest you subcribe to
>
> docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org,

I second this.

docbook-apps is very active, and very helpful, if you're trying to use docbook
you should be on this list.

Sam