Re: docbook-tools, the next generation

/ Mark Galassi <rosalia@lanl.gov> was heard to say:
|   Some maintainers, like Norman, probably, will not feel a need to
|   have Makefile.am files in their master distribution, so we can just
|   offer to put out the extra bit every time he makes a release.

I'd be happy to coordinate distributions to include appropriate
automake stuff. I'll even add it as an RFE for the main DocBook
distribution.

What would be particularly helpful is if someone would show me
what I need to add.

| * We must decide on proper nomenclature.  If our tools are general
|   enough for other DTDs (like TEI), then we can call things
|   /usr/share/sgml.  Otherwise it should be /usr/share/docbook-tools.

I've switched to /share/doctypes on my system. Doctypes being
slightly more general than sgml, since many of the DTDs I use
are now xml. (But I'm on NT so I'm still not using automake and
the like.)

| * Someone should do a careful reading of the filesystem hierarchy
|   standard to see how to lay things out and what to put in /etc versus
|   /usr/share.

Where is that standard?

| I'm sure there's more.  Who wants to work on doing all this?  If I get
| people who want to do it in a disciplined and coordinated manner, I
| will start taking care of the setup details.

I'm certainly interested. I have a real problem with this
mailing list though. It turns out that the ISP I use when I
travel, and I travel too much ;-), has been blacklisted by
whatever service this mailing list uses to avoid spammers. So I
can't post here when I'm on the road.

I'm so pissed about this that I'm "this close" to unsubscribing.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | If all mankind were to disappear,