Re: TeX saga continues.

    satchell> 1) Upgrading to tetex-0.9-17 is not practical, it is
    satchell> linked against glibc-2.1, and a recent libstdc++.

Actually I believe you can runmany versions of glibc (and egcs, which
comes with libstdc++) without a problem.  You can certainly upgrade
egcs, since the system does not depend crucially on libstdc++ the way
it does on on glibc; and I remember that when Red Hat 5.x came out
(which you might remember had the much more drastic change of Linux
libc5 -> glibc 2.0), many people with Red Hat 4.2 ran my RPMs by
having both libc5 and glibc2 installed simultaneously.

    satchell> 2)(your 3) I tried rebuilding just jadetex form source;
    satchell> that gets into trouble with the version of hyperref in
    satchell> my installation; I upgraded that from CTAN, and then
    satchell> something else complained. I could keep down this track,
    satchell> but risk destabilising the whole distribution by working
    satchell> behind the package manager's back.

Probably wise, since (1) might still work, and jadetex-2.3 works for
sure.

    satchell> I think we can say that the new packages are the point
    satchell> of divergence for back compatibility.

Almost :-), but before we say that, *please* explore the simultaneous
gblic-2.0/2.1 issue.