Re: Jade problem with stylesheets

> re-reading some Sherlock Holems, and I can't resist saying "features
> of interest").

	Well, once you've eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,
however improbable, will hopefully get DocBook working on my system! :)

> First of all, it's ocol that you are running on an AMD system.  May I
> guess that you installed the jade package from SRPM, and the others
> from the noarch RPMs?

	No, I installed the i386 binary RPMs for jade.  It seems to
execute fine on my system, so I see no reason to recompile.

	Here are the exact names of the packages I installed, as
downloaded from the Cygnux FTP site:

jade-1.2.1-4.i386.rpm           <-- Notice, i386 RPM
jadetex-2.5-0.noarch.rpm        <-- The rest are "noarch"...
docbook-3.1-5.noarch.rpm
sgml-common-0.1-3.noarch.rpm
stylesheets-0.10-2.noarch.rpm   <-- ...and this one causes problems

> It is weird that running "jade demo.sgm" stops working; I suspect some
> monkey business with the catalog file.

	Yes, I suspected something similar.  The following lines are
printed out as the post-install script executes when installing the
"stylesheets" RPM package:

install-catalog: install of stylesheets DTD
adding stylesheets DTD to catalog
install-catalog: install of nwalsh-modular DTD
adding nwalsh-modular DTD to catalog

	...these lines make me think it's something to do with the
catalog.  But, since I don't know what the catalog is supposed to do, I
leave the troubleshooting up to you :).

> Can you tell me which command you use?  If you are using "db2html
> myfile.sgml", then I will be very surprised.

	I am fairly sure I was using the jade command.  The tutorial says
"The free tools also provide a utility shell script db2html which does the
same [as the jade command]" so I assumed running db2html would be no
different from running the jade command.

	Using "db2html" has the following output:

$ db2html myfile.sgml
TMPDIR is DBTOHTML_OUTPUT_DIR751
Using stylesheet: "/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/cygnus-both.dsl"

input file was called myfile.sgml -- output will be in myfile

working on ../myfile.sgml
about to copy cascading stylesheet and admon graphics to temp dir
about to rename temporary directory to myfile

	...and it seems to work!  Rock!  Here is the result when I try
to use the jade command, as presented in the tutorial:

$ jade -d /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl -t sgml myfile.sgml > myfile.html
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl:2:0:E: document instance must start with document element
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl:2:0:E: character data is not allowed here
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl:2:0:E: meta-DTD does not allow data at this point
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl:2:75:E: meta-DTD does not allow data at this point
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl:3:0:E: meta-DTD does not allow data at this point
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl:3:1:E: meta-DTD does not allow data at this point
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl:4:0:E: meta-DTD does not allow data at this point
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl:4:1:E: meta-DTD does not allow data at this point
[...and so on, for many, many lines. ]

	...so, as you can see the "jade" command is still broken when the
stylesheets are installed.

> If you use "jade myfile.sgml", then I am not surprised.

	Yes, I never thought to try "db2html" as I assumed it was just a
shell script that called jade.  So much for assumptions!

> Let me know which command it is, and whether "db2html myfile.sgml"
> works, and we'll take it from there.

	Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

	I am learning DocBook for a book I am writing.  I want to make
sure that the SGML source I send to my publisher will be free of
SGML syntax errors, so I wanted to convert everything to HTML first and
look over it.

	If there are errors in my SGML source file (for instance, a
missing close tag or an illegal entity) will the command "db2html" print
out an error for me?  Or will it silently ignore the error?

	Thank you VERY much for your help.  I've been fighting this issue
for quite some time.

Thanks Again,
Derek Simkowiak
dereks@kd-dev.com