Index creation software for DocBook?

Hello all,

    I've been converting a 400+ page book from LaTeX to DocBook, and in the
course of doing this came across the issue of indexing.  From the looks of
the DocBook reference, it appears that there are tags that allow the markup
of content to be indexed, *and* tags that allow for the creation of an

    The question I have, is if there is any software out there that, given
a document containing index entries marked up with <indexterm>, would
produce an index marked up with the appropriate DocBook index-related tags
(ie, <indexentry>).

    I've been playing with Arbortext's ADEPT*Publisher, and discovered that
if you simply place an empty <index></index> at the appropriate place in a
<book> document, it will produce printed output containing an index created
from the <indexterm> tags.  That's pretty spiffy; does any software exist
in the open source world that could be used to give me equivalent
functionality (I'd be happy even if I had to preprocess the original SGML
files to create the index)?

                                Ed
--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/