installation instructions?

Forgive me a simple question/suggestion.

I downloaded this stuff:

docbook.tgz      jade.tgz         sgml-common.tgz  stylesheets.tgz
hyperref.tgz     psgml.tgz        sgml-demo.tgz

But I don't know where to put most of the pieces.  Jade is autoconf
based, so it's easy, but where does the other stuff go?  None of the
other packages have any installation instructions, nor were there any
instructions on the DocBook Tools site.
(http://sourceware.cygnus.com/docbook-tools/)

I'm sure I can figure it out if I hunt around some more, but I'd
expect that this sort of thing should be more obvious than it
currently is.

Sure, *I know* it's probably simple if I use the RPM's instead.
But I'm stubborn.  I have this fetish about only running software that
I compiled myself, so I try to never use RPMs.

So my question is, how do the different pieces of the DocBook tools
fit together and how should they be installed?

And my suggestion is, put that information either in the tarballs or
on the web site, or both.

Thanks.

--
         Ceci n'est pas une signature.