[docbook-apps] special characters

Title: special characters
Dear List Members,

We are trying to figure out how to code for umlauts and acute accents. For other special symbols we have been using <symbol role= "symbolfont">&#x03B2;</symbol>, with the appropriate unicode value  in place of the symbol, but we are unsure how to deal with those that are placed above a letter, in this case, an umlaut over an o and an acute accent over an a.

Thank you in advance,
Lisa Girard