Re: [docbook-apps] Simpler XHTML output

Hi all,

Thanks Rene for starting this thread - I have also been frustrated by
the the amount of <div>'s the Docbook stylesheets produce.

Regarding doctype, the first recommendation:

"1. The XHTML output will comply with the W3C XHTML 1.1
recommendation,
as well as current W3C Accessibility Guidelines."

Balancing reality with standards-compliance, I would prefer to use
XHTML 1.0 TR because lists are rendered better by most current
browsers
in this doctype, and it *is* XML.

See my test pages:

http://www.capcollege.bc.ca/test/chris/lists/xhtml-10tr.html

Only XHTML 1.0 TR and HTML 4.01 TR handle list enumeration properly
for
current browsers.

As for extra section <div>'s, perhaps they could be rendered only if
the section has a role attribute. I mainly use the chunked HTML
output,
and I haven't come across any need to treat nested sections
differently.
If I do, the section usually ends up in another chunk, the exception
being a <section> with a specific role attribute.

my 2 cents (Canadian)

Chris

Chris Johnson

Web Developer