Re: [docbook-apps] excluding image format according to output

Hi Paul.
(Are you from a publishing background by any chance?)

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 00:01 +0930, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
> > So down to vector images, on fo output?
>
> For images like line drawings and diagrams, I'd have to say yes.  But
> I suppose you also need to consider the intended use of the final
> document.  If you're publishing a lecture hand-out, a PNG or GIF might
> be perfectly acceptable, particularly if it has not been scaled.  If
> you're intending to print a book, you would need to use a vector
> format.
>
> > This does narrow down doesn't it!  Is SVG the only viable vector
> > format for HTML then?  Still restricted to a browser plug in.
>
> As far as I know, yes.
At least its nice and simple.

> > > If the output format can handle it, you are certainly better off
> > > using a vector format for the image (EPS, SVG, PDF).
> >
> > Again showing my ignorance. EPS I knew of, SVG I'm OK with, but PDF
> > for an image?
>
> Sure.  PDF is just a page description language, after all.  XEP, for
> example, can include PDF images in a PDF just using the
> fo:external-graphic element.  Think including EPS in PS.
<grin/> I never did Paul, honest. Before my time!!!
  More to the point, I don't know how!

> > What tools are used to generate them please?
>
> I have actually never used Adobe Illustrator, but I'd be surprised if
> you couldn't output a drawing directly as a PDF.  XFig will export as
> PDF.  Failing that, save your image from your favourite vector drawing
> program as EPS and use ps2pdf to convert.

I'd never contemplated anything.pdf as a simple image.
Document with embedded image perhaps...
  Is this what people do?

> > PNG isn't a vector format though Paul... is it?
>
> No, it's not.  I probably wasn't completely clear there.  Say that you
> know your final output needs to be 2 inches square on a 600x600 DPI
> printer.  You need a 1200x1200 image.  You could create an EPS
> version, and on output it would be rasterised to a 1200x1200 bitmap
> for printing.  Theoretically, you could produce _exactly the same_
> bitmap as a PNG.  But if you did that, and later needed to put it in a
> 4 inch square region, the scaled result will look blocky.  The EPS
> image will be re-rasterised to 2400x2400 bitmap with no loss of
> quality.

Now you're complicating matters Paul.

Come on docbook-ers, how do *you* generate your images
for hi-Q output in pdf?

Generate the image in eps, at a fixed pixel size, for the target
image space?? Sounds very inky sleeves to me,
down the typesetters with you Paul :-)

My (apparently very simple) world,says
I have an image.
I want to publish it in (html|pdf).
Let Bob and Norm look after it with the xslt.

   Am I being too simple again?

What do other people do?

regards DaveP