Modifying articleinfo element

I want to shade the background of the entire articleinfo section in an
article.  I've been going through _DocBook XSL_ but have not yet
determined how to do this.

I think I might need to insert this line from ../fo/component.xsl in my
customization layer:

<xsl:template match="article/articleinfo"></xsl:template>

Is this the way to alter the appearance of the element?

Please pardon my naive question.  I would really appreciate some
guidance as to what steps I would take to do this.

Thanks.

Peter Desjardins
SupplyScape Corporation
617-453-5760 x441