Re: [docbook-apps] Import vs include

Le 11 avr. 2005, à 10:38, Bob Stayton a écrit :

Well, your mail prompted me to reread the XSLT spec with regard to import
precedence.
Sorry for the work.

  In your situation you have  three templates named
'book.titlepage.separator'.
The processes are completely separated for html and pdf formats, actually they are even more separated processes:
-for html no chunked output format:
db2longhtml.xsl (this one imports html/docbbook.xsl, then includes titlepage-html.xsl)
titlepage-html.xsl

-for html chunked output format:
db2html.xsl (this one imports html/chunk.xsl, then includes chunk-common-patched.xsl, then includes titlepage-html.xsl)
chunk-common-patched.xsl
titlepage-html.xsl

There is no book.titlepage.separator in either chunk-common-patched.xsl nor in db2longhtml.xsl or db2html.xsl, just in titlepage-html.xsl
And it works fine.

-for ps/pdf A4 output format:
pdf-ps-a4.xsl (this one imports fo/docbook.xsl, then imports titlepage-a4.xsl, then changes book.titlepage.separator)
titlepage-a4.xsl

-for ps/pdf US Letter output format:
pdf-ps-us.xsl (this one imports fo/docbook.xsl, then imports titlepage-us.xsl, then changes book.titlepage.separator)
titlepage-us.xsl

That's where it is not good to use include.
[snip]

In summary, it is better to use xsl:import on the generated titlepage
templates file. You can use xsl:include only if you don't further customize
any of the titlepage templates. I need to fix that example in my book.
That's perfectly clear now:
- use include if a template is modified in only one file
- use import otherwise in the order of reverse importance
- always put titlepage customization (import/include) before any other ones, but the stock ones. ?yes?

Thank you very much.

Michèle
<http://micmacfr.homeunix.org>