Re: [docbook-apps] Java and docbook xsl again

two things come to mind

with xalan you may well hit the extension mechanism of the JVM

i'e had all kinds of (almost) random hassles with xalan and particularly dislike Ant's style/xslt tasks so I use saxon 6.5.3 and Ant's java task

this way saxon seems a far more reliable processor, you never hit what's already in the JVM and the java task (esp with fork=true) nothing get's in the way of your classpath

the downsides are that the build script gets rather long, some care is needed with the arguments being passed, and you are limited by whatever command-line saxon provides.

I have a working example build script with ant 1.6.2, saxon 6.5.3, docbook-xsl 1.68.1 and fop 0.20.5 if your interested...

Wendy Smoak wrote:
I hope this is the right place for this question.  I'm not entirely sure
what's wrong, so I'm not sure who to ask.  I'm trying to use Ant's 'style'
task to transform docbook .xml into a .fo file.

I ran into a problem that I think is similar to the one described here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2005-q1/msg00135.html
('outside of element' and 'not a valid object reference' errors)

I tried the fix described here, which involves adding xalan.jar to the
classpath:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2005-q1/msg00174.html

I tried both Xalan 2.4.1 and Xalan 2.6.0 with differing error messages.
I've posted the combinations of JDK and Xalan and the error messages I'm
getting on this page:

http://wiki.wendysmoak.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocBookToPDF

Is anyone successfully transforming docbook XML to FO with Java?  If so,
what combination of versions is working for you?

Thanks for any advice on this,