Re: [docbook-apps] XHTML usage

Le 2005-02-01 19:01 (mardi), Tristan Fiedler a écrit /
On 2005-02-01 19:01 (mardi), Tristan Fiedler wrote :

> I am setting up an online book using DocBook XML.  To create a wrapper
> website for the chapters, I was initially using "vanilla" html, but
> have migrated to xhtml.

This is a good thing! Well most of us want a full 100% XML chain now.

> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
>
> 1.  Does a user friendly website exist which shows allowed
> nesting/parents/children for this xhtml?
> I'm looking for something similar to :
> http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/docbook.html

Not that I know of.

I would recommend you XML aware editors, that know of the 3 different
XHTML DTDs, so that they could contextually prompt you what elements
are allowed. nXML mode + GNU Emacs is such an editor, but you may not
call it user friendly cf. http://www.thaiopensource.com/nxml-mode/

> Currently I'm using :
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#a_dtd_XHTML-1.0-Transitional

Actually XHTML 1.0 is "A Reformulation of HTML 4 in XML 1.0"
so that all the nesting/parents/children that you will have in XHTML 1.0
are those that you will find in HTML 4 (what you are calling "vanilla"
html).

So if you have software or books that you were using to create valid
HTML, you can use all the information they have about
nesting/parents/children.

There are differences with HTML 4 that can be found at
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs Those are important and you should be
aware of them, but they are not related to nesting/parents/children.

> 2.  How can I properly nest an <h2> within an <a>?

> disallowed : <a name="chapterlist"><h2>My Text</h2></a>

You should rather use something like:

  <h2 id="chapterlist">My Text</h2>

and link to it like:

cf. "The elements with 'id' and 'name' attributes"
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.10

Regards,

--
Marc-Aurèle DARCHE  <http://www.cynode.org/>