[docbook-apps] Rotating table headers with XEP

Hello,
I'm trying to rotate table headers in docbook using xep. After reading an other post on the net i finally managed to get them to rotate by using <?dbfo orientation="90"?><?dbfo rotated-width="2.5in"?> inside every header entry. The height of the resulting table headers is fine but there are other problems:

1) The texts in the headers is vertically centered.
2) The columns are way to wide. Inside the table only the first column contains text the rest of them contains one or two characters (++, + or -) but all of the columns have the width of the first.

So my questions are: Is there a smarter way to rotate table headers? How can I align the header texts? How do i control the width of the columns?

Thanks
William