Re: [docbook-apps] INSTALLER-DocBook 1.67 XSL Stylesheets

The file is actually just called INSTALL, not INSTALLER, and no,
it's not necessarty to run it -- especially if you're calling a
docbook-xsl driver file directly (as in your examples below)
instead of using a customization layer.

The only think the INSTALL file does it to create a XML catalog
file for you. And that XML catalog file is only useful if you are
calling a docbook-xsl driver file using the canonical URI instead
of a local system path.

For example, in the customization layers that I write and use, I
always have something like this:

  <xsl:import href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/chunk.xsl"/>

And the catalog.xml file that the INSTALL script creates might
have something like this:

 <rewriteURI
 uriStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/";
 rewritePrefix="/sandbox/xsl/"/>

So that tells my XSLT engine, If you find a URI starting with
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/, rewrite it to
/sandbox/xsl/

So instead of trying to grab the stylesheet driver and stylesheets
via HTTP, my XSLT engine gets it from /sandbox/xsl/xhtml/chunk.xsl
and goes from there.

Then, if I change my mind and want to have my XSLT engine use a
different set of docbook-xsl stylesheets (say, some older, more
stable version), then I just point the XSLT engine at at different
catalog file -- maybe one that has this:

 <rewriteURI
 uriStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/";
 rewritePrefix="/usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/"/>

That way, I never need to change the value of the xsl:import in my
customization layers.