Re: [docbook-apps] Syntax coloring of programlisting

Hi,

I'm thinking about doing syntax highlightning of example code, typically
found in Docbook's programlisting[1] element. I've never seen this in
Docbook, only in web forums and such. Have anyone any experience with
this, or is aware of existing solutions?

I've implemented something similar as XSLT extension function. The
extension function takes two string parameters (the first parameter
contains the plain code fragment, the second parameter defines its
language) and returns an interim node-set representing the tokenized
program. In a second step, the returned node-set can be processed
further, e.g. transformed into formatted output.

My implementation is written for SAXON 6.5 and makes use of the free
jEdit Syntax Package [1] which performs the actual tokenization. The
implementation is just a few lines of Java code. I think a similar
extension for other (Java-based) XSLT processors or syntax highlighting
packages would be straight-forward. If you (or anyone else) is
interested in it, I can publish the source.

That would likely be useful, perhaps you can attach it to a mail in this thread?

In order to avoid future confusion, you could put a license header of your choice in every file.

I've put it here: http://www.oliverh.com/saxon-tokenizer.zip

Regards,
Oliver