Re: [docbook-apps] <programlisting> escape sequences and error: detected an error in element

As far as I can see, it's not a problem with your document. It's
well-formed XML and valid DocBook.

I tried running it through xsltproc, but couldn't reproduce those
errors -- it generates HTML without any problems -

  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/tmp/example.html

Maybe it's the version of xsltproc you're using. Running
'xsltproc --version' on the machine where I tested says -

  xsltproc was compiled against libxml 20604, libxslt 10102 and libexslt 802

So if 'xsltproc --version' on your machine tells you it's linking to a
libxml older than 20604, you might want to try installing the latest
libxml2/libxslt/xsltproc that you can find, and retry your test.

You might also try running it through another XSLT engine. Do you have
Saxon?