RE: [docbook-apps] Error when creating CHM with japanese content

I think typically you would pass in those params from your build system or pass in just the language and set the other params based on that (as you suggested, with an xsl:choose). Something like this, assuming you've set l10n.gentext.language from the command line:

<xsl:param name="htmlhelp.encoding">
<xsl:choose>
  <xsl:when test="substring($l10n.gentext.language,1,2) = 'ja'">Shift_JIS</xsl:when>
  <xsl:otherwise>window-1252</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:param>

You could instead base the test on the value of a lang attribute in the doc.

One thing to keep in mind about creating Japanese chms. It is possible to create them on non-japanese versions of Windows if you load the asian font packs, but the search won't work unless you create it on a Japanese version of the OS. Be sure to test that.

Another challenge is sorting your index. You have to use the .hhk file [1] for your index (rather than the index entries embedded in the html files) and you must have your tranlator transliterate index terms into Furigana (i.e. Katakana or Hiragana) in sortas attributes on the primary, secondary, and tertiary elements. Even then, IIRC, there are some limitations the .hhk files that the xsls currently produce--I know duplicate terms are not collapsed and I'm not sure if it currently sorts them.

David

[1] http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/htmlhelp.use.hhk.html