Re: [docbook-apps] HTML output contains "Ä"

On Sunday 15 August 2004 23:06, Bob Stayton wrote:
> These letters show up in HTML whenever your HTML is encoded as UTF-8 but
> the browser thinks it is encoded in ISO-8859-1.  This mismatch could come
> from:
>
> a. The HTML not including a charset meta tag.
>
> b.  The HTML including a wrong charset meta tag.
>
> c.  The HTTP server providing an incorrect charset property in the http
> header that overrides the charset meta tag in the HTML.
>
> Does your HTML have a charset meta tag?
> Do you get the same results when viewing it locally instead of through a
> server?

I'm integrating the docbook into a website, where a PHP framework does silly
copy&paste of html,head,body tags; the charset and encoding information is
not set by the docbook code, but the PHP code(and the output is the same for
my two projects). Specifically, it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
(...)

Looks good to me.

When viewing the page source via a text editor(vim) as well as locally, the
characters are there. It appears to not be an encoding/character mapping
issue.

The other thread of mine is perhaps related to this, considering the character
have taken the navigation buttons' place.

Thanks,

			Frans