Re: [docbook-apps] Re: kerning / tracking on nested ordered lists

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Johnson" <cjohnson@capcollege.bc.ca>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 1:06 PM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Re: kerning / tracking on nested ordered lists

> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks for your reply - is there a reference for processing
> instructions, both html and fo?

I don't know of any official reference.  My book covers most of them (see
the index), but I missed the use of 'label-width' in orderedlists.  I'll add
it in the next edition.

> Another approach would be to modify the template that processes the
> list, where the width of the block would be calculated from the length
> of the string... would this be worthy of an RFE, or has this not come up
> before? (you must remember, this is an *academic* policy document...)

Yes, this would be a good RFE.  Something like it is done in variablelists.
Unfortunately, there is no accurate way to calculate widths in the FO stage,
because the actual width of the typeset text isn't known until the FO
processor assembles the glyphs, which is long after the stylesheet
transformation has been completed.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting