Re: [docbook-apps] Label format modification question.

I presume you are talking about the XSL stylesheets.

The punctuation actually comes from two places. The trailing period is added
by the gentext templates. In common/en.xml, you will see this:

   <l:context name="title-numbered">
      <l:template name="appendix" text="Appendix&#160;%n.&#160;%t"/>
      <l:template name="article/appendix" text="%n.&#160;%t"/>
      <l:template name="section" text="%n.&#160;%t"/>

The "." after %n is the trailing period.  You can customize this template
using the methods described in my book to remove that period:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomGentext.html#CustomGenText

The punctuation after a chapter or section component number is generated by
a template in mode 'intralabel.punctuation', which is defined in
common/labels.xsl as:

<xsl:template match="*" mode="intralabel.punctuation">
  <xsl:text>.</xsl:text>
</xsl:template>

This outputs a ".", and is how the punctuation after all elements is handled
by default.  If you want to distinguish how the chapter part of the number
is punctuated, then add this template to your customization layer:

<xsl:template match="chapter" mode="intralabel.punctuation">
  <xsl:text>-</xsl:text>
</xsl:template>

It outputs a dash instead of a period for chapter only.  If you want the
same thing for appendices, then make it match="chapter|appendix".

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting
bobs@sagehill.net