Re: [docbook-apps] Translation/i18n of DocBook/XML?

Hi,

if you do not insist on a pure open source tool chain, the XLIFF editor by Heartsome (www.heartsome.net resp. http://www.heartsome.net/EN/xlfedit.html) might be a solution.
XLIFF editor is able to convert a DocBook XML document into XLIFF (another XML vocabulary hosted by OASIS - just like DocBook - which serves for localization purposes) and helps you translating the source files into any language you want. It also features a translation memory to recycle existing translation segments, thus reducing the translation effort considerably. In contrast to other commercial tools such as TRADOS or TRANSIT, it is a Java application and should run as well under Linux.
I don't know whether there are any open source tools for translation purposes that serve equally well; at least I don't no any open source tool that features translation memories and fuzzy search. Does anybody else on the list know any of them?

Regards,
Markus Schütz

Michael Wiedmann escribió:

[ Posting in behalf of Wolfgang Borgert <debacle@debian.org> who has
 problems posting to the list ]

Hi,

what is the ultimative way to translate DocBook/XML
documents into other languages?  I know that there were some
discussions two years ago, but I don't know the outcome.  Does
anybody know the following tools?

- doc-i18n-tool(?)

- intltool

- poxml/xml2pot

What I like to have is something gettextish:

DocBook/XML(en) -> .pot

and
DocBook/XML(en) + {de,fr,es}.po -> DocBook/XML(de/fr/es)

Or similar...  I would like to avoid the use of autoconf, KDE,
or any huge toolchain, if that's possible.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, W. Borgert