[docbook-apps] Re: Footnote marks in FO output

(This message is only 43 weeks old, I'm making progress! :-)

/ "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net> was heard to say:
| I know the issue of footnote marks has been discussed numerous times,
| but I've run into this particular problem again, and also have a
| partial solution.
|
| The FO stylesheets use a <fo:inline> with the attribute
| 'baseline-shift="super"' to render the in-text footnote markers.  The
| default value of the block-level attribute
| 'line-height-shift-adjustment' is 'consider-shifts', which means that
| (even with a customisation to reduce the font size of the marker as
| low as 80-85% (stylesheets use 90%)) the baseline of the line
| containing the footnote mark is shifted down a little, and for just
| that single line -- making whole paragraphs look quite uneven.
|
| If the _surrounding block_ containing the footnote inline has the
| attribute 'line-height-shift-adjustment="disregard-shifts"', the
| output looks much nicer -- I've tested it by adding it in by hand.  My

Man, does it ever! I had forgotten about that parameter and trying to
figure out how to make paragraphs with footnotes look less hideous has
long been on my "to do" list.

I've added line-height-shift-adjustment="disregard-shifts" to the
root.properties for 1.65.1 and beyond.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--