Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook to WordML

On Jan 26, 2004, at 10:49 AM, Christian Roth wrote:

Another advantage is that with RTF, in contrast to WordML, you are
targeting not only Word 2003, but also legacy applications like Word 97,
Word 2000, and many custom components using the reasonably documented RTF
format as their storage/interchange format (like Mac OS X's TextEdit and
the underlying engine).

I still go back to HTML: it is possible using CSS and class attributes to create output that Word will import as if it is a native doc: everything will be tagged with a Word style so long as it has a class attribute on it. This is more effective than any RTF-from-DB solution I've seen, and it's easy. Since it is (almost) standard HTML, it will display well in browsers as well.

Also, Phil wrote:

Given the amount of feedback from others on this list, perhaps I _am_ the only one with this particular issue. Looks like I've got a project to keep me out of the sunlight for a few months ;o)

You're not the only one. The publishers I deal with (in the academic world) will not accept anything they cannot open cleanly in Word. Period. I'd be happy if people will test out the stylesheet mods I worked on and get them in better shape (they're a bit hack-ish). XSL files and description at:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php? func=detail&aid=810043&group_id=21935&atid=373750

I've also posted a CSS file here:

http://www.users.muohio.edu/darcusb/files/DB-MSW.css.tar.gz

Bruce