Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook Stylesheets - minor questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Hohls" <DHohls@csir.co.za>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 6:01 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] DocBook Stylesheets - minor questions

> A few questions that I'd appreciate some help with:
>
> 1. How do you remove the
>   style="margin-left: 0.5in; margin-right: 0.5in;"
> from the <div class="note"> tag?

In your customization layer, set the 'admon.style' parameter to
be blank.  It is defined in html/param.xsl with those margins.

> 2. How do you reduce amount of vertical space between labels
> and their  associated objects e.g. between Figure title and figure;
> Example # and example?

Use a CSS stylesheet.  Look in the HTML to see the element and class names
to use for CSS selectors.  For example:

div.figure p.title {
      margin-bottom: 0px;
}

Depending on what is in your figure, you may need additional styles, because
the figure content may have margin-above that needs adjustment too.
I think mediaobject doesn't, but programlisting does.

See this reference for more on using CSS with DocBook output:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/UsingCSS.html

> 3. How do you alter the text on a cross-reference so that a figure
> without  a title does not appear as:
>  see Fig #, ""
> [NB I need to do this without altering  the source xml, which uses
> the  format <xref linkend="target-fig-id" />]

Set the parameter 'xref.with.number.and.title' to zero, and you will just
get
"Figure #" in your cross references.  I presume when you say a figure
without title you mean it has a <title> element but it is empty, right?
The stylesheets aren't designed to handle such titles.  Maybe they should.
There is informalfigure that does not take a title, but neither does it
get a number.
If you want to display titles for those figures that have titles, you'll
have to do
some customization work.

> Thanks
> Derek
>
> PS Is David Pawson still updating his Q&A site?

Yes, I think so.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net