Re: [docbook-apps] Resolver Classes (Version 1.1) Cannot find CatalogManager.properties

On Saturday 10 January 2004 04:59 pm, Mark Johnson wrote:
> I'm having the same problem no matter where I put the resolver
> classes and the CatalogManager.properties file.
>
> I've tried putting them both in /usr/share/java/ (and in local
> places in my home directory), and _always_ put both on my
> classpath.

.
.
.
> Have you verified that the fix works?

Yes. I got Resolver Classes (Version 1.1), that's
com.sun.resolver.tools.ResolvingXMLReader
and
com.sun.resolver.tools.CatalogResolver
to work as expected.

Here's an example of a command I used:
********
java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet
-x com.sun.resolver.tools.ResolvingXMLReader \
-y com.sun.resolver.tools.ResolvingXMLReader \
-r com.sun.resolver.tools.CatalogResolver \
-o out.fo \
xmlto.xml file:///usr/share/xml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.64-1/fo/
docbook.xsl
*******

> > The fix?
> >  - Remove resolver.jar from ~/jre/lib/ext
> > - Place resolver.jar and CatalogManager.properties on the
> > CLASSPATH
> >
> > It won't work if one leaves a copy of resolver.jar in
> > ~/jre/lib/ext

Here's the line in my .profile where I set the CLASSPATH:
export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$HOME/bin:$HOME/bin/resolver.jar:$HOME/
bin/resolver-1.0.jar:

Sometimes a person such as myself might think that instructions
stating "put the CatalogManager.properties file on the CLASSPATH"
means to make an entry for it in the CLASSPATH variable, like one
would for a jar file. Instructions would more usefully state: "put
the CatalogManager.properties file in a directory included in the
CLASSPATH variable".

I have the CatalogManager.properties file placed inside $HOME/bin

I still do not have the Sun Resolver classes working with Xalan Java.
Nor do I have the xml-commons resolver classes working with Xalan
Java.

To anyone listening, why doesn't Xalan Java use the resolver classes?
Or is the mistake mine?

Looks like Norman Walsh's resolver classes (Sun Resolver classes) are
in the xml-commons package:
http://xml.apache.org/commons/

I wonder if these classes will be distributed from both Sun and Apache
in the future.

Saxon can use them similarly:
java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet -x
org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.ResolvingXMLReader \
-y org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.ResolvingXMLReader \
-r org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.CatalogResolver \
-o out.fo xmlto.xml file:///usr/share/xml/docbook/
xsl-stylesheets-1.64-1/fo/docbook.xsl

Steve Whitlatch