[docbook-apps] XMLroff

Does anyone have experience using XMLroff?  It looks like a decent idea
and alittle more simplified, not that it matters, but I've had serious
trouble getting it to build and I'm really curious what the PDF output
looks like.
I'm considering it as an alternative to FOP and PassiveTeX.

Any opinions on it? If anyone has sample output they can send my way I'd
really appreciate it.

Thanx.

benr.