Re: [docbook-apps] one more bit of carping and whining about <variablelist>

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 01:33:28PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> ---- Start SpamAssassin results
> 7.00 points, 7 required;
> *  0.0 -- Message-Id indicates a non-spam MUA (Pine)
> *  7.0 -- BODY: Possible porn - Hot, Nasty, Wild, Young
>
> ---- End of SpamAssassin results

> Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:33:28 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com>
> To: docbook apps list <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
> Subject: one more bit of carping and whining about <variablelist>
>

>   based on a bit more testing, i have one more issue with <variablelist>.
> well, ok, two.  (obviously, i'm not going to get any *real* work done
> today. :-(
>
>   first, the online TDG demonstrates that a variablelist can be rendered
> so that the terms actually overlap their corresponding listitem's, as in:
>
>   TTF
>
>         True Type fonts
>
>   PFA, PFB
>
>         PostScript fonts.
>
> note the slight overlap, where the listitem is not pushed over
> *completely* based on the length of the term.  this is not what
> happens at the moment.  with all my tests, the listitem gets
> cranked all the way to the right so that there is no overlap,
> as in:
>
>   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   xxxxx                                listitem here
>
> and so on.  so is the example shown in TDG misleading?  under what
> circumstances would that occur?  or is that related to the change
> to "em * 0.60"?

The formatting style you are referring to is called
"blocks" in the stylesheet.   See:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ListIndents.html

>   second point is that, given multiple terms, the possible break
> to render them over two lines can be very badly chosen.  with
> the two terms "/bin" and "/usr/bin", what i got was:
>
>   /bin,/
>   usr/bin     standard system executables
>
> yuck.

Strange, when multiple term elements are used they
are separated by a comma and a space.  It should
be breaking on the space, but it appears that
you don't have the space.

> p.s.  i can find them as fast as you can fix them. :-)

No, much faster than we can fix them.  8^)

                                            email: bobs@sco.com