Re: [docbook-apps] pdf output

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 02:54:36PM +1000, Jason Lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to write a document in docbook, but I'm having some trouble
> getting the tables to generate properly when output to PDF.
>
> I use the following command to generate an .fo file
>
> xsltproc --xinclude -o /var/www/catalogue/
> /usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/xsl/nwalsh/html/chunk.xsl catalogue.sgml

I think you pasted the wrong command line into your
mail.  This command uses the HTML chunking stylesheet,
and won't produce FO output.

> and then i run pdfxmltex on the fo file to produce a pdf.
>
> The problem i am having is with how the tables in my document are rendered in
> the PDF. It seems to ignore all the directives i give it regarding text
> alignment within the cell and also the cell and frame border thicknesses.
>
> I'm using docbook 4.2
>
> Is there known problems with generating tables in pdfs?

PassiveTeX does have problems formatting tables properly.
See:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2002-q3/msg00817.html

You might be better off using FOP instead.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com