Re: [docbook-apps] embedded fonts in pdf?

The creation of the PDF file (and, as a consequence, all the font
embedding) is performed by "pdftex"

	http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/

The documentation is well worth reading.

pdftex uses "map" files to specify how fonts are handled (mapping
between TeX fonts and PDF fonts) - you probably have the file
"pdftex.map" somewhere on your system.

One of the attributes described in the mapping file is the font name.

The font name can be preceded by some characters (<, << and others). It
is these that determines to what extent the font is embedded in the
file.

What you need to do is

- Gather all the fonts that you want to use

- Make sure pdftex can understand them - i.e setup mappings for them -
do what is necessary for TeX and PDF to understand them etc. Adjust the
mappings to make sure that they are going to be embedded.

- Finally, it may be necessary to tweak your jadetex.cfg file to make
sure that it recognises the names of the fonts. Although I've attempted
to stuff as many font names as are commonly used in jadetex so hopefully
it knows about them already - unless you have a really obscure font. And
adjust you stylesheets to use the fonts.

Hope that helps.

Ian.