[docbook-apps] Re: DOCBOOK: can't grok nsgmls complaint

Maybe this is a record for elapsed time between
a posting (January) and a response (May), but
I discovered an answer today.  The original
mail was about nsgmls giving a useless warning
when validating an XML file.

> validating it with nsgmls gives this complaint:
>
> $ nsgmls -s -wxml /usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl GemBook.xml
> nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl:1:W: SGML declaration was not implied

I tried onsgmls (from OpenSP) and got the same warning.
I like using onsgmls for validation because it is more
helpful in locating the source of a problem than xmllint
(it gives line numbers!).

It turns out that onsgmls has more options, including the
ability to turn off individual warnings.  So this command
validates XML without the warning:

  onsgmls  -s  -wxml  -wno-explicit-sgml-decl  xml.dcl  myfile.xml

You have to put the -wxml option before the -wno-explicit-sgml-decl
option for it to work.  Then you get beautiful silence if
the file is valid.

Now the solution is on record and the next time I google for
it I will find it.  8^)

                                            email: bobs@sco.com