Re: [docbook-apps] DPI in FOP for images

Bob Stayton wrote:

> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 04:48:26PM -0400, Mike Mascari wrote:
>
>>I know I've seen this before, but I cannot seem to find the style
>>sheet variable to tweak. Perhaps I'm remembering openjade options for
>>PostScript output. When FOP generates PDF with in-lined GIF images, it
>>assumes a DPI of 72. Is there any way to change this value for an
>>entire document without specifying the scaling values for each
>><imagedata> element?
>

> You are thinking of the 'pixels.per.inch' parameter, but
> that is only used by the HTML stylesheets, not the FO stylesheet.
>
> What exactly is the problem you are trying to solve?

I have documentation which includes screen shots as GIFs of various
GUI elements of an application. I'd like to take the documentation and
generate a PDF from the XML source. The HTML and HTML Help look fine,
but the resultant PDF has pages composed largely of images where the
associated text is pushed onto the next page. A long, long time ago, I
had generated Postscript from the equivalent SGML source and ran into
the same problem. Adjusting the DPI assumptions made by the renderer
(I think it was openjade, I can't recall) allowed the images to be
rendered properly on the Postscript device. What I don't want to do is
scale the bitmaps themselves down (causing a loss of information) and
then have the bitmaps scaled back up by the PDF renderer.

In a nutshell:

I want a 300 x 300 pixel image to be rendered in the PDF output as
2.08" wide instead of 4.16" wide.

Is this possible?

Mike Mascari