RE: [docbook-apps] Footnote marks in FO output

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Beal said:

> I've been meaning to try this myself and just haven't found the time
> yet.  I was going to try adding it to the <fo:root/> element so that it
> applies everywhere.  I don't know of any problems that would be caused
> by a line-height-shift-adjustment of 'disregard-shifts'.

That was a thought of mine as well.  I'm struggling to think of a case
where that would break something, but I don't know.  Any inline graphic
that is tall enough, for example, I suspect would break because of this.
Mind you, and inline graphic causing a baseline shift will look similarly
ugly, IMHO.

> If that does cause problems, a template like this would probably handle
> 90% of the cases:
>
> <xsl:template
> match="para[.//footnote|.//footnoteref|.//superscript|.//subscript]">
>  <fo:block line-height-shift-adjustment="disregard-shifts">
>   <xsl:apply-imports/>
>  </fo:block>
> </xsl:template>

Again, I thought of something like this (though thanks for the concrete
implementation -- I did not get that far), but will this catch everything?
 I guess we would need to check the DTD for every place a footnote (and
the others) can appear and create a set of appropriate templates.  I'm
glad to know someone else is interested, though.  IMHO again, it improves
the output significantly.

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh at logicsquad dot net
mailto:paul dot hoadley at student dot adelaide dot edu dot au