[docbook-apps] Chunking at the chapter level

I'm a newbie to DocBook so apologies if this is a naive question. Using publishing tools in Windows, I've generated my first chunked document. I would prefer to chunk only at the chapter level, but I believe this is not a standard chunking option. I've reviewed many DocBook tutorials and archives of this list looking for hints at workarounds. All I've found are a few discussions of this in the April 2001 archive of docbook-apps, but I'm not clear on how to proceed.

These were Norm's instructions from a 24 April 2001 message:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2001-q2/msg00241.html
"If you grab the XSL stylesheets from CVS, you'll find that I've added two parameters to control chunking: chunk.sections and chunk.first.sections. If you turn off chunk.sections, you'll get chapter-only level chunking. If you turn on chunk.first.sections, you'll get a separate chunk for each top-level section, including the first. "

I'm new to XSLT and its configuration. Is this now the recommended method to achieve chapter chunking? If yes, how do I make it so? I'm running on docbook-xsl-1.60.1 which should be much more recent than April 2001. But I'm not finding the "chunk.sections" parameter in any of the chunk style sheets. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Also don't know what it means to, as Norm says, "...turn off chunk.sections" -- is this a string parameter added to the xsltproc command line statement? I tried "string param chunk.sections 0" but xsltproc doesn't recognize the chunk.sections entity.

Another obviously naive question: if I grab updated style sheets from the CVS, what is the procedure for installing these updates locally? I sense it is not as simple as copying the files to the appropriate directory. Based on Norm's April message, I did go to Sourceforge and pick up individual chunk* stylesheets (assuming these contained the new chunk.sections) but don't know what to do with them. Or maybe someone can point me to instructions on how to upgrade a local docbook publishing installation with updated components pulled from the CVS?

Many thanks for your help. --julie

Julie Wetherill
Office for Information System
Harvard University Library
1280 Massachusetts Ave., Suite 404
Cambridge, MA 02138

ph 617.495.3724
fx 617.495.0491
julie_wetherill at harvard dot edu

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
   Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx