RE: [docbook-apps] LE madness

≤ and ≤ refer to the same character.  8804 is in decimal
notation, 2264 is in hexadecimal.  That aside, the problem is that the font
you are using does not include a ≤ character.  Helvetica and Times
neither one do.  Of the standard Adobe fonts, I believe only the Symbol font
has the appropriate character.

With XEP, this is relatively easy to fix.  If you specify multiple font
families in the fo:font-family attribute (as in font-family="Helvetica,
Symbol") XEP will look down the list when it encounters a character that
doesn't exist in the first font.  (This is a feature they added in version
3.1, if I remember correctly.)  If you do this, you'll probably also want to
set the font-selection-strategy to "character-by-character" on your fo:root
element.  Otherwise, XEP will switch to the Symbol font for that character
and all following characters (until it comes to a character not in the
Symbol font.)

AFAIK, FOP does not support multiple font families in this manner.  I think
it just uses the first font it can find for all characters in the document.

HTH,

Jeff