subtitle more important than title in html tags

Hi, I'm new in this list and I have not checked archives carefully yet but I
have some problems converting docbook into other formats. One of it is that
when I use title and subtitle together then they are rendered in HTML in
reversed order/meaning of tags. I mean title is H3 and subtitle is H2. Is this
a bug or expected behaviour? I use it that way:

<book>
  </bookinfo>
      <sect1><title>Earlier</title>
        </sect2>