Re: XInclude doesn't validate with xmllint

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 05:52:05AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 09:49:09PM -0700, Bob Stayton wrote:
> > I started to extend the DocBook DTD to permit xi:include,
> > but I think it is kind of impossible (except for maybe
> > Norm 8^).  The xi:include element can replace *any*
> > element or group of elements, so the content models of
> > every element would get hopelessly complex.
>
>   The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that
> in general, validation should occur after XInclude processing.

IIRC that would not meet the definition of "validity" for an XML
document, or am I wrong ?

>   But allowing an extra attribute everywhere is quite simpler
> than allowing an extra element everywhere :-)

"everywhere" is probably too strong, i bet noone wants to use this for
inline elements.

Maybe what's needed would be some sort of "allow element X whereever
this element is allowed" clause in the DTD/schema.
In a schema we could just have on element definitions a NMTOKENS or
IDREFS attribute with these semantics.

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique