Re: OT: Searching HTML or On topic, searching xml?

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Dave Pawson <dpawson@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

> At 04:52 03/09/2002, Bob Stayton wrote:
>
> >There are many possibilities for searching.
> >boolean logic, word endings, etc.?  What kind of
> >interface do you want for the query and for
> >the search results?
>
> If docbook had a tag for 'searchable' content, as it does for
> index terms, then it wouldn't be too hard to collate an 'index'
> of search terms and the html file, even in a chunked output?

As someoen who works with full-text retrieval systems all content is
searchable to me. The presence of such specially tagged regions is, in my
experience, only a hinderance to the average user; those whom it does help
more are information scientists.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!